What is the Amber Flag?
The Amber Flag initiative is an initiative run by Pieta House which recognises the individual efforts of primary and secondary schools, youth reach, third level institutions, community groups, clubs and companies to create healthy, inclusive environments that support mental wellbeing.
In order to promote positive mental health and wellbeing at Nenagh Community National School, we have decided to take part in the Amber Flag Initiative. Successful completion of the Amber Flag initiative involves the whole school community coming together in order to create a safe, positive and healthy attitude towards our general physical and mental health and well-being.
Our aims and objectives are…
- To create Amber Flag notice boards in the school, promoting positive mental health strategies.
- To hold a fundraising event for Pieta House and a Wellbeing Week to promote positive mental health in our school.
- To hold a ‘Design a Poster’ competition within the school to raise awareness of positive mental health strategies.
- To teach a bank of calming and relaxation strategies to our wellness committee. They will support the teaching of these strategies to all the children.
- To develop emotional Literacy by promoting positive behaviour through school rules and class rules. Everyone in our school community should show respect to each other at all times.
- To embed yoga and mindfulness practice facilitated fortnightly by Ms. Walshe & Ms. Gavin and our yoga sessions with our yoga teacher Siobhán.
To promote positive language when engaging with one another.
- Encourage the “telling of good news” on the yard with our “Wellness committee” supporting this also.
- To promote acts of kindness in the school teaching the children to be more aware of positive interactions with their peers and adults in all interactions. These acts of kindness will be recognised and awarded in our school by placing the child’s name on the kindness tree.
Amber flag Blog
We were delighted to finish off the school year with the news that we have been awarded the title of a Gold Incredible Edibles School. We really enjoyed this programme.
We have been awarded the Amber Flag for wellbeing. Well done to everyone for all their hard work but more importantly for helping to make our school an even better place. Thank you to our Wellbeing committee for all their efforts & our teachers Ms. Walshe &...
Last week we had our final visit from Jennifer and Baby Ayda. Thank you so much Jennifer for taking part in the programme, we loved having you and Ayda into visit us. A big thank you also to Fidelma for delivering the Roots of Empathy programme to the boys in second...
Participating in some dance with Nikki. Some of us got called up on stage to help Nikki.
As part of our Wellness week Ms. Walshe and Ms Gavin set up some painting stations in the hall.
We had a great start to our day this morning doing yoga with Ms. Gavin and Mrs Walshe. We are getting confident with all the yoga poses and loved the relaxation at the end!
As part of our Wellbeing week Ms. Moloney's junior infants and our sonas children took part in a yoga session.
Ms. Walshe and Ms. Gavin treated us to a yoga session as part of Wellness week. Our Wellness committee lead the yoga session also.
Mrs. Walshe presenting presenting boys with their kindness hearts. Their hearts will be added to our kindness tree.